the-brambled-way:

Angel’s Trumpets Toxicity Report

Toxicity Level: Highly Toxic

Angel’s Trumpets, or Brugmansia, are extremely toxic. The entire plant is poisonous, but the leaves and seeds have the highest concentration of poisonous chemicals, making them more deadly. Ingestion of any part of the plant can result in dry mouth, confusion, diarrhea, migraines, smooth muscle paralysis, audio and visual hallucinations, increased heart rate, dilated pupils, rapid onset of cycloplegia, seizures, and death.

Angel’s Trumpets are a hallucinogenic plant. Teas brewed from the seeds of Angel Trumpets have been used in South American mysticism and continues to be part of rituals. However, in North America and Australia, teens have often sought the plant out for recreational use. This has always ended in disaster. The hallucinations caused by the plant are always described as being horrific and results more often than not in self destructive actions - such as cutting off one’s tongue or penis.

One report by a 5 foot woman who, while watering her 6 foot Angel Trumpets, got the water from the flowers on her hair and face, resulted in acute poisoning. When she wiped her face and went inside, she found her eyes dilated and went to the hospital. While she did not die, she did suffer some of the less painful symptoms such as extreme thirst, dizziness, migraines, rapid heart rate, nausea, and increased blood pressure for three days. No hallucinations were reported.

There are even some growers who report having Brugmansia Addiction. There are many gardeners who become obsessed with growing Angel’s Trumpets and some believe that this is due to the fact that even the smell of the flower is narcotic. This is echoed in Columbian lore which says that to fall asleep under a Brugmansia plant is unlucky and can result in an eternal rest.

Some people have been known to die from drinking a single cup of Brugmansia tea. This could be because the levels of poison in the plant can vary depending on many climate factors - the same as peppers may be hotter when grown during a drought. Angel Trumpets are best left alone as there is no guarantee how much is safe to consume.

Children are sometimes attracted to the plant because of its large, colorful flowers. Pets are usually deterred by the bitter taste. Some pets have been reported to be fine after tasting the plant, but watch carefully for signs of poisoning.

Do not ingest! Handle with care! Keep away from pets and children!

(Please remember that this information is what I found in an internet research. I am not an experienced herbalist. Always triple check the toxicity levels of your plants.)

shamanesschokbar:

During a blessing ceremony for a family and their land in Tuva.

the-brambled-way:

Meadow Saffron Toxicity Report

Toxicity Level: Highly Toxic

Meadow Saffron, colchicum autumnale, also known as autumn crocus or naked lady, is sometimes mistaken as wild garlic. All parts of the plant are poisonous, and ingestion in large amounts can lead to what is described as a slow, agonizing death which the victim remains conscious through to the end. Within the first 2-12 hours - or up to 24 - the following symptoms occur: burning in the mouth and throat, abdominal pain, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and kidney failure.

In the next 24-72 hours, more severe symptoms follow including multiple system organ failure, respiratory difficulties, lowering of white blood cell count, cardiac insufficiency, kidney damage resulting in bloody and/or low urine output, anemia, and muscular weakness. This may include hypovolemic shock due to extreme vascular damage and fluid loss through the GI tract, which may result in death

Colchicine, the poisonous component of Meadow Saffron is also used to treat gout. 0.5 milligrams of colchicine are used in such treatments. 0.8 milligrams of colchicine result in certain death. If the ingestion is at less than .8mg of colchicine total, there is a chance of recovery in 6-8 days.

Even monitored treatments with colchicine has side effects that include diarrhea, vomiting, and hair loss. Pregnant women should avoid Meadow Saffron. Complications could arise from even acute poisoning. I have seen no studies or information specifically on pregnancy and colchicine but the symptoms effect enough organs and systems that it should be assumed unsafe.

All parts of plant are poisonous! Do not ingest! Keep out of reach of pets and children! Avoid if pregnant!

(Please remember that this information is what I found in an internet research. I am not an experienced herbalist. Always triple check the toxicity levels of your plants.)